Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Whole New Wardrobe

I love cute dresses.  And cute tops paired with cute skirts.  I love cute clothes.  I just can't afford them.  Every girl goes through a season in her life when she is completely dissatisfied with most of the clothing she owns, and all she wants is an entirely new wardrobe.  I am going through that season right now.

And then I find the website modcloth.com. They have some of the cutest dresses, tops, skirts, and accessories ever.  And of course I can't afford most of it.  So my solution is to make wishlists.  It's just like shopping, only I don't actually get any of the things on the list.  But if I ever have an extra $30 to $80 (the average cost of a dress, with a few reaching the hundreds of dollars), I can just go to my wishlist and pick a dress I've already pre-selected as cute.  It's a great system!

Only one problem: after a first sweep of adding all the dresses I found cute to my list, the grand total came to 399 dresses.  That is way too many to choose just one from!  And that's just dresses, not even including tops (130), skirts (41), accessories (150) or shoes (17).  The good news is, a lot of the dresses are very similar in style and color.  I went through the list and narrowed down all of the dresses in the same style, same color, same pattern, or just way too expensive.  I managed to get it down to 220.  Still a ton of dresses, but at least it's not more than one dress a day for a year and couple months.

I will probably never end up buying more than a few of those dresses.  If any.  I'm not much of an online shopper.  I prefer to be able to try a dress on, or at least see it in person, before making the commitment of paying for it.  I also hate to pay shipping.  If ModCloth had a physical store, I'd be all over that.

I'm also more of a bargain shopper.  My first stop at any store is the sale rack, and if a cute piece of clothing is too expensive, it immediately loses it's cuteness in my eyes.  But the site also has clothes on sale.  One of their cutest pieces, a vest dress, is on sale for about half it's original price.  Still slightly more than I can afford right now, but I'm seriously considering it.

Maybe one day I'll own each of those items on my wishlist, but I'm not holding my breath.  A small percentage would be enough to completely revitalize my currently boring wardrobe.  But a wishlist is just that, a wish. Not holding my breath.

No comments: