Monday, July 12, 2010

Food Blogs

I love food blogs. Especially dessert blogs. Pretty much anything with pictures of delicious-looking and adorably designed cakes or cupcakes or pies or cookies, I'm a sucker for it. I look through the photos, imagining situations in which I would use a cake decorated like a happy cloud with a rainbow scarf, or cupcakes with cartoon character faces on each one. I look at the incredibly beautiful, intricate, and creative wedding cakes and try to decide which one I want at my wedding some day. I imagine that I can decorate something that beautiful, and even seriously consider taking a cake decorating class, just to see if would actually be able to pull it off.

But, there are some cakes and cupcakes that, though I appreciate the artistry, I don't think I'd ever be able to enjoy them. Those cakes decorated to look like non-cake food, such as egg salad sandwiches or hamburgers or steaks on the grill, never ever look appetizing to me. Even if they're made out of the sweetest, most delicious cake ingredients in the world, I still wouldn't be able to bring myself to eat it.

Mostly, probably, because of how realistic they all look as whatever food they're not. If I want to eat delicious, sweet cake, I don't want to be putting what looks like mashed potatoes and peas in my mouth. Conversely, maybe I see a mouthwatering hamburger, and when I take a bite, it turns out to be cake?

It's all a matter of not getting what you're expecting. And I don't like that. One time in Sunday School some girls offered everyone a choice between Sprite and Club Soda, but had switched the contents of the bottles. They were trying to demonstrate that people tend to go for the bright, flashy outside instead of what's on the inside. But I know I like Sprite, I was expecting Sprite, and it didn't have anything to do with the out appearance of the bottles. So when I asked for Sprite and got the nasty surprise of disgusting club soda, I was pretty pissed. I didn't get what I was expecting.

And its the same with those cakes. Even if someone were to say, "Look at this cake that looks like steak on a grill, would you like a piece?" and I accepted, still, somewhere, in the back of my mind, when I'd take a bite I'd be expecting it to taste like steak. That's just too weird for me. So, just a tip, if you want to bake me a special cake, don't make it look like dinner food. I won't like it.

No comments: