Thursday, July 08, 2010

Tattoo Thoughts

I have a tattoo. I got it almost 2 years ago, but I didn't write about it because I didn't want my family to find out over the internet. But now they know, and I don't think they know about this blog, so here we are.

My tattoo is a small blue flame behind my right ear. I got it because of the Madeline L'Engle quote "We do not draw people to Christ by loudly discrediting what they believe, by telling them how wrong they are and how right we are, but by showing them a light so lovely they want with all their hearts to know the source of it."

I heard that quote in church a few years ago, and it quickly became my favorite. It perfectly summarizes what I feel my mission is. When I decided to get a tattoo, I wanted to get something that represents that statement, especially the "light so lovely." What better to represent that light than a flame? So that's what I got, and I really don't regret it.

This past weekend a friend of mine was trying to decide what tattoo he should get next month. We didn't come up with anything that he wanted, but I had a few good ideas. I don't plan on getting any more tattoos (those things HURT!), but if I did, here are a few that I'd seriously consider.

Now, the way I came up with these was because I suggested coming up with a favorite quote, Bible verse, or life motto and tattooing based on that. So, yeah, the ideas:

1. A small piece of cake on my hand below my thumb, almost on the wrist. (Because one of my life mottos is "everyone deserves cake on their birthday")

2. A grocery list on the underside of a forearm. (No deep meaning for this one, I just think it'd be clever)

3. Another forearm list - "Act Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly." (Based on Micah 6:8)

I think I had one more good one, but I can't remember it now. Anyways, since I'm not planning on using any of these, if you loved one of them, feel free to mark your body forever with it!

No comments: