Friday, July 09, 2010

Creepy Spiderman

You might not realize this from the title of this blog, but my name is MJ. This really shouldn't be that big of a deal, but for some reason it's a huge deal to comic book fans. I mean, I understand that Spiderman's girlfriend Mary Jane generally goes by MJ. I just don't understand why whenever a fanboy hears my name they automatically think of her.

Three times today, three times, someone said my name and then mentioned Spiderman in some way. One of the guys even had the audacity to tell me that he is Spiderman. Gross!

Kind of got me thinking about cheesy pick-up lines though. Now, I am extremely oblivious to being hit on. Not that it happens very often, but usually what happens is this: a guy will initiate an awkward interaction, and I'll try to be polite while wondering why this person is being so awkward, and then later I'll tell a friend about the interaction, and they'll explain to me that I've been hit on.

The most common sneak-attack flirting is some comment on my name (besides Spiderman, I often get Michael Jackson or Michael Jordan, because, you know, I look like a dude?), or they'll see my (sterling silver) ring and ask if I'm engaged. To which I'll reply, no, and then they'll semi-jokingly ask, well why are you wearing a ring on your left finger if you're not engaged? And I'll sometimes answer and then they'll just kind of awkwardly leave.

I think my life is made up of one awkward interaction followed by another followed by another. Maybe it's not the guys that are awkwardly flirting, or failing at the pick-up lines. Maybe it's me that's failing at... not being awkward. Ah well. I have fun, and usually have some great stories!

No comments: