Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Joys of Painting Pottery


In early February, my family gathered in Prescott Valley, AZ to celebrate my grandmother's 80th birthday.  One of the activities we did while there was going to a studio for pottery painting.  I had just been approved for an apartment, and wanted to choose something practical for my new place, so I decided to paint a napkin holder.

And then i found this sunburst-shaped sponge, and I knew how I would paint my napkin holder.  Because this sunburst sponge looked just like the sunburst from Tangled, one of my all-time top-5 favorite movies. I decided to paint a Tangled sunburst napkin holder.

I found some green speckled paint - I'm sorry, glaze - for the base color, and some dark purple glaze for the sunburst (yes, i know in the movie it's a yellow sunburst with purple background, but I like green, so there.  Also, light colors on dark backgrounds don't really work when painting pottery).  For the other side of the napkin holder, I decided to paint the scene with the floating lanterns.

It's hard to tell what the final product will look like based on the painting you do, and unfortunately it takes about a week for the pottery to get glazed and fired and finished.  Since we were visiting, the products wouldn't be finished until after we'd all gone home.  Thankfully, Granny picked them up once they were finished and mailed them to us.

I really like the finished product.  It's an adorable spot for my napkins.


No comments: